Powder-coating wheels is a reliable and affordable way to give new life to your car wheels, making them look as good as the day you drove off the lot. Located in Sydney, Australia, we at Eightyeight Detailing offer a wide range of services that can help restore your wheels to their original beauty. From increasing durability and longevity to improving the overall appearance of your wheel rims, you will find we offer a large selection of services to ensure your vehicle looks great and runs smoothly.
What are Powder Coated Wheels?
Powder-coated wheels are an increasingly popular choice for car enthusiasts who want to upgrade the look and performance of their ride. It’s the process of adding a durable finish with a dry powder coating that provides a solid, smoother external layer to protect against chipping, marks, and fading.
Our Specialists Make Wheel Coating Easy
When it comes to taking care of your prized wheels, you know that a little extra protection can go a long way. From keeping them looking brand new to protecting them against minor scratches, scuffs and even extreme heat, wheel coating is ideal for keeping your vehicle in top condition. To make this process even easier, our experienced team offers exceptional wheel repair and wheel coating services with every job, no matter the size or style of your car.
Whether you have chrome rims or alloy wheels, our experts use the best clear coat products and techniques to achieve superior results and clean finishes. We use only premium quality sealants and protective agents because they offer a superior shield against permanent marks and high-temperature brake dust.
Our powder coating service transforms your wheels from their original condition, adding new life to the metal surfaces through the following process:
1. Prepare the Entire Wheel
- We remove the wheel from the vehicle and disassemble it if necessary (e.g. remove the tyres, brake rotor, etc.).
- We use a degreaser or a heavy-duty cleaner to remove any dirt, grime, or brake dust.
- We remove any rust or old paint from the surface of the wheel.
- Clean the wheel again to remove any dust or debris, and make sure the surface is free of oil, grease, and other contaminants.
- The wheel is now ready for powder coating.
2. Blasting & Inspecting
We use a light blasting technique to ensure surfaces are smooth and free from corrosion and blemishes. We check each wheel for damage, particularly the lip and face of the rim, for deep scratches or even a small fracture.
3. Applying the Powder Coat
We then apply the powder coating, ensuring we use the right finish for metal surfaces, wheel types and colour match. We preheat the wheels before adding the primer, and once they have cooled, we apply the final coat before undertaking the curing process.
4. Inspection of the Wheel Respray
Inspecting the powder coating wheels involves our technicians checking the surfaces for any defects or inconsistencies. This includes searching for things like bubbles, sags, and runs. Our crew will also check for proper adhesion to the powder-coated rim and uniform thickness in the coating.
Our technicians will also check the consistency of the colours and for any signs of chipping or peeling.
Types of Protective Powder Coating Finishes
When adding a protective wheel coating to your rims, you can choose from various colours and finishes. There are many choices from your standard black, white and silver or custom colours like shadow chrome, red or bronze. When you select one of the following finishes, you’re left with a tremendous protective powder-coating:
Wheels painted with a glossy finish have an additional layer of protection on their powder-coated rims, enhancing the shine and longevity. Some professional wheel polishes also offer specialised gloss coatings applied to the entire rim to achieve a lasting shine.
Sometimes referred to as a semi-gloss, a satin finish is less reflective than a glossy coating and flatter than a matte coating. This finish allows you to appreciate the natural appearance of the wheel as it accentuates the original rim.
Matte powder coat is a popular finish for auto lovers who wish to show their individuality with a sporty finish. It’s a popular aftermarket, race-inspired look often seen on SUVs, Sedans and 4×4 trucks.
Benefits of Wheel Powder Coating Sydney
Powder-coating wheels offer a huge range of benefits to car enthusiasts, including:
- Durability: Powder coating your old or new car rims provide a hard, protective finish that is resistant to chipping, scratching, and fading. This makes it an excellent option for wheels exposed to the elements.
- Customisation: Available in various colours and finishes, you can choose what best compliments your vehicle’s paint job or stands out on its own.
- Cost-effective: Powder coating is generally less expensive than other finishes, such as liquid wheel painting.
- Environmental benefits: Powder coating does not release volatile organic compounds (VOCs) into the air, making it a more environmentally friendly option than liquid paint.
- Better Adhesion: A powder coating adheres better to metal than liquid wheel painting, which means it is less likely to peel or chip over time.
Get a Free Quote on Powder Coating Wheels at Eightyeight Detailing
Eightyeight Detailing offers a free quote for any services you may require for your old or new car, motorbike or 4×4. Our affordable prices, professional services, and commitment to customer satisfaction make us your Sydney go-to location for anything from wheel repair to a powder coat for your rims.
With extensive experience in this field, you can expect our friendly staff to exceed your expectations in all aspects of your car, including bringing your wheels to life and looking like new wheels with a powder coat, having your alloy wheels painted or giving your rims new colour.
Book an Appointment Today
Don’t let wheel corrosion and grime damage the look of your vehicle– invest in having a powder coat adhered to your alloy wheel now! With our unbeatable quality at a reasonable price, we guarantee you’ll never again have to worry about blemishes spoiling your ride’s sleek finish. Don’t wait – contact us today and book an appointment with our crew to get started!