Graphene and ceramic coatings are two of the most popular options for protecting your car’s surfaces from damage and wear. As both options offer many benefits, it can be challenging to choose between them when considering which coating to use.
In this article, we will explore the differences between graphene coating vs ceramic coating, including their advantages and disadvantages. We will also discuss how they compare in terms of durability and other key factors.
What is Graphene Coating?
Graphene coating is a revolutionary new technology that is a thin graphene layer applied to a car’s surface to enhance its properties. The formulation of graphene is of various carbon atoms arranged in a honeycomb structure. It’s known for being incredibly strong and lightweight and working as an excellent conductor of heat and electricity.
When protecting your car, pure graphene ceramic coatings help improve various materials’ durability, conductivity, and water resistance, including metals, plastics, and ceramics. The atom structure of graphene coatings makes them incredibly strong yet lightweight, making them usable for countless treated surfaces and applications.
Benefits of Graphene Coating
Graphene coatings offer several benefits when applied to vehicles, including:
- Increased durability: Graphene is a very strong and extremely durable material, so applying a coating to a car’s surface can help protect it from scratches and other forms of damage.
- Improved fuel efficiency: Graphene coatings claim to reduce aerodynamic drag on a car, which can help enhance your vehicle’s fuel efficiency.
- Better heat dissipation: Graphene has excellent thermal conductivity, which can help dissipate heat quickly and effectively. This could be beneficial for cars with high-performance engines.
- Enhanced anti-corrosion properties: Graphene coating can improve the anti-corrosion properties of a car, which will help prolong its lifespan.
- Reduced maintenance cost: Graphene’s durability and corrosion resistance mean that cars with this highly durable coating would require less maintenance, resulting in cost savings over time.
- Hydrophobic properties: A hydrophobic surface refers to the tendency of a substance to repel water and not mix with it. In terms of your car, it helps reduce water spotting because it slides off the surface.
How to Maintain a Graphene Coating
To maintain a graphene coating, it is essential to regularly clean the surface to remove any dirt or debris that may have accumulated. Using a mild detergent and water, a specialised cleaning solution designed for use on graphene surfaces or professional car detailing are acceptable cleaning methods.
To maintain the super slick graphene coating residue, it’s essential to avoid exposing it to harsh chemicals or a high surface temperature, as these can damage or degrade the material. If the coating does become damaged, repair may be possible by reapplying the coating.
What is Ceramic Coating?
A ceramic coating is a liquid polymer-based sealant applied to a car’s exterior paint as an additional layer of protection. With ingredients like silicone dioxide, it forms a chemical bond with the paint surface and creates a barrier protecting the car’s finish from dirt, dust, UV rays, and other environmental factors.
Ceramic coatings can also make the car easier to clean and give it an ultra-high gloss finish and hydrophobic barrier (water-repelling). Ceramic coatings are typically more durable and long-lasting than traditional wax or sealant products.
Benefits of Ceramic Coating
A ceramic coating provides several benefits for cars, including the following:
- Increased durability and scratch resistance: Ceramic coatings create a hard, protective barrier on the surface of a car that is resistant to scratches and other forms of damage.
- Improved hydrophobicity: Ceramic coatings cause water to bead up and roll off the surface of a car, making it easier to clean.
- UV protection: Ceramic coatings help to protect the paint surfaces on a car from fading and discolouration due to exposure to UV.
- Enhanced gloss and shine: Ceramic coatings give a car a deep, glossy shine that can last for several years.
- Easy to maintain: A ceramic-coated car is much easier to maintain than a regular one, as it requires less frequent washing and detailing.
- Cost-effective: Ceramic coating is more cost-effective in the long run as it requires less frequent polishing, waxing and other maintenance.
Maintaining Ceramic Coatings
Maintaining ceramic coatings on a vehicle involves regularly washing the car with a pH-neutral soap, or using a clay bar to remove any bonded contaminants if doing it yourself. However, the best choice is to bring your ride to Eightyeight Detailing for car detailing.
It is essential to avoid using any harsh chemicals or abrasive materials, as these can damage the coating. Reapplying the ceramic coating every 1-2 years helps maintain its effectiveness.
Benefits of Graphene Coatings Over Traditional Ceramic Coatings
When you consider graphene coating vs ceramic coating, you will find that graphene coatings generally come out on top as the choice for you. These benefits over a traditional ceramic coating include the following:
- Graphene coatings are much harder and more durable than ceramic coatings, making them more resistant to scratches and other forms of damage.
- Graphene is an excellent conductor of heat, which means that graphene coatings can help dissipate heat more efficiently than ceramic coatings.
- Graphene is also an excellent conductor of electricity, which means that graphene coatings can improve the electrical conductivity of a material.
- Good quality graphene is a very lightweight material, which means that graphene coatings can reduce the weight of a material without sacrificing strength or durability.
- Graphene paint protection can also help improve the corrosion resistance of a material, making it more resistant to rust, oxidation and other forms of corrosion.
- It’s a more straightforward application process reduction for graphene vs ceramic coatings, using simple spray coatings, dip or spin coating methods.
Are Ceramic and Graphene Coatings Expensive?
The cost of ceramic and graphene coatings can vary depending on the specific application and the quantity used. In general, graphene coatings typically offer better outcomes and use more advanced technology than conventional ceramic coatings. For this reason, graphene is slightly more expensive, but only marginally.
Graphene Vs Ceramic: Which is Better?
Ceramic and graphene coatings for cars have unique properties that make them suitable for different applications.
Graphene coatings are known for their high strength and conductivity, making them suitable for applications that require high thermal and electrical conductivity. Graphene coatings can enhance the performance of electrical systems in cars, such as batteries and electric motors. They can also be used to improve the durability and longevity of the paint and body of the car, as they are highly resistant to scratches and corrosion.
Durability & Protection
On the other hand, ceramic coatings are known for their high wear resistance and durability, making them suitable for applications that require high resistance to wear and tear. Ceramic coatings can protect the paint and body of the car from scratches, stains, and UV damage, as well as provide a hydrophobic effect to make it easier to wash. They also have excellent heat resistance and can withstand high temperatures, making them suitable for high-performance cars.
While some may claim graphene is better than a ceramic coating, both are semi-permanent coatings, so whichever you choose will need to be reapplied after some time and will vary depending on the frequency of use of your vehicle.
In summary, both Ceramic and Graphene coatings have their advantages and disadvantages. But Ceramic coatings are more suitable for protecting the paint and body of the car from scratches, stains, and UV damage. In contrast, Graphene coatings are ideal for applications that require high thermal and electrical conductivity, such as electrical systems in cars.
Receive Premium Graphene Ceramic Coating with Eightyeight Detailing
Don’t wait any longer to protect your vehicle – invest in a graphene or ceramic coating today and experience the peace of mind that comes with a reliable protective measure! With such top-notch products and services available at Eightyeight Detailing, you can rest assured that you’ve made the right choice to defend against wear and tear.